Salkehatchie Summer Service
Huntersville Camp 2005
The Ramsey Home Story
Saturday June 4, 2005
Mr and Mrs Ramsey have lived in their home for about 30 years. The home itself was moved to its current location from Charlotte and it was at that time the Ramsey's moved into it. Over the years they have raised a family and been upstanding members of the community.
The front of the Ramsey home. This house was moved here about 30 years ago.
In recent years the Mr Ramsey has suffered a stroke and a heart attack. Despite that he has done what he can to maintain their home.
Here are the major priorities for the Ramsey home:
- Reshingle the roof
- Add a utility room to accommodate a washer and dryer
- Repair the existing siding and paint the exterior
Other possible projects include doing some finish work in the bathroom and screening in the front porch.
Check back here beginning on Monday July 18, 2005 to see the progress on the Ramsey home
Monday July 18, 2005
The Ramsey team includes the following adults: Mona Kita (site leader), John Anderson, Ray Peter and Kathryn Tiero-Peter. The youth are Hillary Wagstaff, Laura Beth Hamrick, Ryan Mello, William Flake, Julie Goss, Heather Helton and Julie Pollard.
The Ramsey team on the roof
The major projects for this team over the course of the week will be to reshingle the roof, build a combination utility room and screened in porch, paint the house and fix a hole in the kitchen floor.
The team was able to accomplish the following:
- removed the shingles from the roof
- dug holes for the post
- pressure washed the outside of the house
- dug up weeds
- cleaned up the front porch
Tuesday July 19 & Wednesday July 20, 2005
The Ramsey team worked hard in the blazing sun on Tuesday and Wednesday. Here's the progress on the major projects
- The roof has continued to be a challenge but progress is definitely being made. By the end of the day on Tuesday the shingles had finally been taken off. By end of the day on Wednesday, the fascia boards had been put in place, the drip caps were in place, the roof paper was up and the first course of shingles had been put up. The team will start shingling the roof early on Thursday. The roof work was done by Ryan Mello, William Flake, Julie Pollard, Hillary Wagstaff and Laura Beth Hamrick.
- The hole in the kitchen floor still exists but it's now ready for the subfloor to go down
- The utility room/screened porch platform is complete. Wendy Goss, William Flake and Heather Helton worked on the utility room/screened porch.
- The house exterior has been completely primed and the team will begin painting on it on Thursday
The team is feeling a little anxious with three major projects happening on Thursday. They look forward to a big day on Thursday.
The screened porch is taking shape
Thursday July 21, 2005
The team tackled their three big projects ... the utility room, painting the exterior of the house and, of course, that roof. There aren't any trees near the house so the heat has been brutal, especially on the roof. The temperature reach almost 130F at one point.
The team is showing some signs of frustration as they move forward with the projects. However, the exterior painting is complete and the roof will definitely be completed. The utility room/screened in porch provides the biggest challenge as progress has been slower than the team would like.
This team has given everything they've got in getting the projects done. Please keep them in your prayers on Friday.