Salkehatchie Summer Service
Huntersville Camp 2006
The Evans Home Story
Monday, July 17 2006
Mrs Evans is severely disabled and lives alone. An accident a few years ago has left her barely able to move around her home. At times she will use a wheelchair and has use oxygen.
The Evans Home
Here are the major priorities for the Evans team:
- Build a wheelchair ramp in the front of the office
- Build a utility/storage room at the back of the house
- Widen the interior doors
- Paint the interior and possibly exterior
The Evans team includes the following adults: Carl Duncan (site leader), Mona Kita, Brad Cunningham and Michael Stewart. The youth are: Melissa Cannan, Katie Greene, Katie Owens, Lauren Carlton, William Flake, Ryan Mello, Doug Coats.
On Monday the team accomplished a lot.
- an unused chimney in the center of the house was removed
- the front deck was raised to the level of the front door to make it more wheelchair accessible
- The interior wall between the kitchen and living room was removed.
- the footings and platform for the utility room were started
- the interior doorways were widened.
The team had a very good first day. The tearing out is complete and the reconstruction has begun.
Tuesday, July 18 2006
Here's the short update:
- The back utility and storage area is completely framed. Michael is doing a great job leading the youth.
- The surface of the ramp is complete
- The front porch is mostly complete
- The team spent a good part of the day getting the inside ready for painting
The ramp and porch are complete at the Evans home
This home is undergoing a tremendous transformation.
Wednesday, July 19 2006
No home is undergoing a bigger transformation than the Evans home. It will be unrecognizable when the week is complete. Space has been created in the interior by removing the wall that separates the living room and kitchen. The utility room will add valuable space for a washer and dryer as well storage. The front porch has been rebuilt and wheelchair ramp has been added. Due to her health Ms Evans has been staying with a friend in Charlotte. She'll see her home for the first time on Friday. The team can't wait.
There is still a lot left to complete here but the team is confident that it will get done.
Thursday, July 20 2006
The team continued making good progress through Thursday. The addition in the back was completed except for some finish work on the inside. The front porch and ramp were done. By the end of the day the team had moved inside to finish up. There was a lot of anticipation regarding Ms Evans return. For health reasons she had spent the work week with a friend in Charlotte. She had not seen any of the work that had been done.
Friday, July 21 2006
The team, as expected, completed their work about 3:00pm. The highlight of the day of course was the return of Mrs Evans to her home. To read about it check out the Camp Director Notes.
The team was helped considerably during the week by Michael Stewart and Bob Sims. Michael took the lead on the addition while Bob dealt with all the electrical issues. This team was able to accomplish a lot in a short period of time.